How I fixed a blown blender (thermal fuse).

Recently my neighbour brought a blown blender.It did not have power at all.So ,I opened it up to have a closer look inside.There are not much parts it the blender-some diodes and capacitors.I checked for continuity and power in various places and nothing seemed to be wrong.I got power right to the windings of the DC motors.



Nothing seemed to be wrong.I thought it must be the motor.So,I decided to have a look inside and started unwrapping the yellow tape around the windigs.Fortunately ,I didn't to unwrapp much -just half a turn- and voila.

a thermal fuse on a transformer
There it was hidden under the transformers yellow tape a THERMAL FUSE.I checked for power right before the fuse and it was ok-240Volts.Then I did the same after the fuse and I got zero power.I figured if I shorted the two ends of the fuse the motor should start.I took a small screwdriver and shorted the two ends and gues what-the motor kicked!

This little thing called a thermal fuse was the culprit.I did not have this kind of fuse to replace it and I used an ordinary 250V,5amp fuse for the time being until I get a proper thermal fuse.  


an ordinary 250V 5amp fuse

Nowadays most of the tranformers come with a thermal fuse.The problem is that sometimes they hide the fuse under the windings and you have to take the transformer apart in which case you're...screwed.

Cheers!
arximastoras.blogspot.com

Post a Comment

Νεότερη Παλαιότερη