My first small Tesla coil with NE555 and flyback transformer.


This is my first Tesla coil.It's not completed yet actually.

Now all I need is to produce constant sparks off the top of the coil without touching a screwdriver or a lamp! I've tried some aluminum foil on top of the coil but nothing happens.How can that be done?A spark off the top without touching anything?Any suggestions?


Here I've used two separate power supplies-a 6V powering the NE555 and a 12V powering the 2N3055 and the flyback.I've also used a COSMO 1010 (C1010) photocoupler to make sure that the NE555 doesnt blow from the 12volt supply.

the coil
The secondary coil has about 400 turns of 0.4mm magnet wire wrapped around a 3cm paper roll.The primary is 5 turns of speaker wire.

the spark gap
Just two screws not attached to anything facing each other.

capacitor bank
Here are the capacitors I've used:
5̶3̶2̶J̶,̶ ̶4̶7̶4̶J̶,̶ ̶.̶2̶7̶J̶ ̶,̶ ̶.̶6̶4̶J̶,̶ ̶.̶2̶2̶J̶,̶ ̶1̶0̶5̶J̶,̶1̶2̶4̶J̶,̶ ̶8̶2̶2̶J̶/̶1̶.̶6̶K̶V̶.̶M̶o̶s̶t̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶o̶t̶h̶e̶r̶ ̶c̶a̶p̶s̶ ̶a̶r̶e̶ ̶r̶a̶t̶e̶d̶ ̶4̶0̶0̶V̶o̶l̶t̶s̶ ̶I̶ ̶t̶h̶i̶n̶k̶.̶O̶n̶e̶ ̶o̶r̶ ̶t̶w̶o̶ ̶2̶0̶0̶V̶o̶l̶t̶s̶.̶
S̶o̶ ̶,̶i̶f̶ ̶m̶y̶ ̶c̶a̶l̶c̶u̶l̶a̶t̶i̶o̶n̶s̶ ̶a̶r̶e̶ ̶c̶o̶r̶r̶e̶c̶t̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶n̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶b̶a̶n̶k̶ ̶s̶h̶o̶u̶l̶d̶ ̶b̶e̶ ̶a̶b̶o̶u̶t̶ ̶4̶K̶V̶o̶l̶t̶s̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶9̶0̶0̶ ̶p̶F̶s̶.̶.
The calculations were wrong -this was too much capacitance.I've replaced this chain of capacitors with a single DIY aluminum foil and plastic sheets as dielectric capacitor.I am not aware of the capacitance value of this though.I do not own an LC meter.

Here is how I made this homebrew capacitor.



Or not.
Maybe the bank is not good enough for spark on top.Maybe the bank is the culprit.

How to get the constant spark on top?

I know it has something to to do with resonance.Obviously there is no resonance here.





Here is the schematics I've used for this coil.



I got the schematics from here.

arximastoras.blogspot.com

Post a Comment

Νεότερη Παλαιότερη