simple high-pass filter

My recently made amplifier has too much bass.I needed something to lower it.I wanted something very basic-not complicated- and this what I came up with.A high-pass filter.

Bass is low frequencies so I needed to cut off low frequencies below a certain point.A high-pass filter does that.

Notice at 00:26 how the bass is reduced as I turn the resistor all the way to the right at 20K.When I turn the variable resistor to the left the bass is increased.



This is the simplest form of a high pass filter circuit- a capacitor and a resistor.

Passive high-pass filter

The filter in the schematic sets the high-pass cut-off frequency at 79.58 Hz.I got this number using the formula or the calculator at the bottom of the post.The lower the frequency the higher the bass.

Human hearing range is between 15Herz - 20 KiloHerz.I built this circuit because my TDA2003 bridge amplifier was putting out too much bass.So this circuit set the cut-off frequency higher at 79.58 Hz instead of ,say, 20 Hz which would be ever more bass




active high-pass filter
Here is very basic high-pass filter with an opamp.

Προσθήκη λεζάντας
Gain is determined by R2/R1.


Use the calculator
This site has an online calculator to help you calculate the values of the capacitor and the resistor.

According to the calculator-in my case- 100nF capacitance combined with 20K resistance gives 79.58 Hz.This is the cut-off frequency. 

Or if you are into math you can calculate the values yourself with this formula.

f_c = \frac{1}{2 \pi \tau} = \frac{1}{2 \pi R C},\,

f is frequency in Hz
pi is 3.14 or 22/7
R is the resistor value
C is capacitor value

arximastoras.blogspot.com

Post a Comment

Νεότερη Παλαιότερη