Mains hum in DIY amplifiers.

Mains hum is a major problem in almost homebrew amplifier project.I run across this problem all the time.I haven't figured out how to solve it yet.

My DIY amp with two TDA2030s and  preamp.



You can clearly hear the mains hum in my speakers.




Possible causes of mains hum in speaker.

  • power cables too close to audio cables.
  • no shieled cables for preamp out/amp in
  • preamp too close to its transformer
  • preamp too close to power button
  • RCA in contact with casing
  • no ground wire from mains socket to metal casing
  • power button wrong position




Here are a couples of things I changed that seem to reduce the hum significantly.


  • shielded wires for audio
  • preamp transformer moved away from preamp.This reduced the hum a great deal.
  • preamp moved away from power button.
  • ground wire from mains to metal casing 




I still got some hum but much much less than initially.
Any suggestion regarding what I did or to reduce the hum more?


arximastoras.blogspot.com

Post a Comment

Νεότερη Παλαιότερη